|Books • Projects|
The White Negro. San Francisco: City Lights Books. Essay, 27 pp., 35¢, softcover.
This often-reprinted pamphlet is almost always given a 1957 date in bibliographies, an unlikely date in that the essay is followed in the pamphlet by the 1958 piece, “Reflections on Hipsterism” (58.1). A 23 August 1959 Chicago Sun-Times review of the second (50¢) City Lights edition, and Mailer’s 30 April 1959 letter to City Lights editor, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, indicates a 1959 City Lights publication date. In addition, the list of available City Lights publications in the 50¢ edition contains only 1958 publications. Rpt: 57.1, 59.13, 98.7 (partial), Voices of Dissent: A Collection of Articles from Dissent. New York: Grove, 1958.
- Baldwin, James (1988). "The Black Boy Looks at the White Boy". Collected Essays. New York: Library of America. pp. 269–285.
- Ehrlich, Robert (1978). Norman Mailer: The Radical as Hipster. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press.
- Gutman, Stanley T. (1975). Mankind in Barbary: The Individual and Society in the Novels of Norman Mailer. Hanover, NH: The University Press of New England.
- Holmes, John Clellon (February 1, 1958). "The Philosophy of the Beat Generation". Esquire. pp. 35–47. Retrieved 2019-03-23.
- Malaquais, Jean (1959). "Reflections on Hip". In Mailer, Norman. Advertisements for Myself. pp. 359–62.
- O'Neil, Paul (November 30, 1959). "The Only Rebellion Around". Life Magazine. 47 (22): 115+.
- Podhoretz, Norman (Spring 1958). "The Know-Nothing Bohemians". Partisan Review. 25 (2): 305+.
- Polsky, Ned (1959). "Reflections on Hip". In Mailer, Norman. Advertisements for Myself. pp. 365–69.
- Wenke, Joe (2013). Mailer's America. Stamford, CT: Trans Uber LLC.