Norman Mailer Society/Conference/2022
19th Annual Norman Mailer Society Conference
April 7–9, 2022
The Prisoner of Sex Turns 50: Mailer on Gender and Sexuality
Long Branch, NJ • Co-Sponsored by Monmouth University
- Join the Norman Mailer Society
- Program (coming soon)
Call for Papers
The Norman Mailer Society invites paper proposals for its 19th annual conference, which will be held April 7-9, 2022, in Long Branch, NJ, co-sponsored by The English Department at Monmouth University.
While we welcome proposals for papers and panels on any aspect of Mailer’s life and work, the organizing thematic focus of this year’s conference is gender and sexuality, in recognition of the 50th anniversary of the publication of The Prisoner of Sex. Paper topics might include (but are not limited to):
- interpretations and re-readings of The Prisoner of Sex;
- Mailer’s theories and fictional treatments of masculinity, femininity, sex, and sexuality;
- representations of Marilyn Monroe;
- Town Bloody Hall;
- Mailer’s dialogues (public and/or intertextual) with notable feminist figures;
- writers and cultural figures who influenced Mailer’s views on these subjects; and
- considerations of Mailer’s legacy amid contemporary conversations about gender and sexuality.
To submit a proposal for a panel, individual paper, or special event, please e-mail the following to conference co-chairs Maggie McKinley (mmckinleharpercollege.edu) and Jerry Lucas (gerald.lucasmga.edu):
- a 150-200 word abstract of the proposed presentation;
- a 50-word biographical statement; and
- any A/V requirements.
Proposals are due by October 31, 2021.
To accommodate all presenters, individual presentations should be no longer than 15 minutes.
A room block has been reserved at the Sheraton Hotel in Eatontown, New Jersey, just 2 miles (~5-6 minute drive) from Monmouth University. The conference rate is $139/night. Reservations can be made at link below, or by calling the Sheraton at 1-732-542-6500 and mentioning the Mailer Society. Our booking code is NMS. Please book at your earliest convenience to guarantee a room.
2022 Travel Funding for Students
Graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to present at the conference. Conference registration fees will be waived for students this year, and grants to help subsidize travel and lodging costs are available to students as well. Please contact the conference organizers for more details.