- Adams, Laura (1974). Norman Mailer: A Comprehensive Bibliography. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press. Primary and secondary, including partial list of Mailer's unpublished manuscripts and dissertations about his works. Includes an important introduction by Robert F. Lucid.
- Ahearn, Allen; Ahearn, Patricia (1997). Norman Mailer: Author Price Guide 114.2. Dickerson, MD: Quill and Brush. Authoritative price guide to first editions with identifying "points" for same.
- Fiske, Thomas. A Collector's Bibliography of the Writings of Norman Mailer, 1938-1993. Unpublished Manuscript. Contains annotated list of Mailer's published work through 1993, a list of unpublished screenplays, playscripts and ephemera, and all or part of four unpublished Mailer letters.
- Leeds, Barry H. (2002). The Enduring Vision of Norman Mailer. Bainbridge Island, WA: Pleasure Boat Studio. ISBN 9781545721926. Chapter 8 "The Critical Climate: Books on Mailer" updates Leeds' bibliography since 1969.
- Lennon, J. Michael (1986). "Norman Mailer". In Martine, James J. Contemporary Authors Bibliographical Series: American Novelists. Detroit: Bruccoli Clark/Gale Research. pp. 219–260. Primary (including key interviews) and secondary with essay on secondary sources.
- — (1991). "Norman Mailer". Facts on File Bibliography Series: American Fiction, 1919-1988. New York: Facts on File. pp. 306–310. Primary and secondary, including biographical sources.
- Lucid, Robert F. (1971). "A Checklist of Mailer's Published Works". In Lucid, Robert F. Norman Mailer: The Man and His Work. Boston: Little, Brown. p. 299-310. The foundation stone of Mailer bibliographies.
- Shepard, Douglas (1972). "Norman Mailer: A Preliminary Bibliography of Secondary Comment". Bulletin of Bibliography. 29 (April–June): 37–45. Thorough, if not exhaustive, list of reviews of Mailer's books through Miami and the Siege of Chicago (68.25), and other critical comment.
- Sokoloff, B. A. (1969). A Bibliography of Norman Mailer. Darby, PA: Darby Books. Primary and secondary with many omissions, but including obscure early reviews.