Coming in Fall 2018: Revised Edition of Works and Days
“The veritable Rosetta Stone of Mailer criticism.” —Barry H. Leeds
The Norman Mailer Society announces the publication of
An Enlarged and Revised Edition
Norman Mailer: Works and Days
By J. Michael and Donna Pedro Lennon
Preface by Norman Mailer
Edited by Gerald R. Lucas
Limited signature edition: 40 copies (signed by Norman Mailer*) $200
Pre-publication price (before September 4, 2018): $150
All profits from the sale of this new edition will be donated to the Norman Mailer Society.
*Before his death in 2007, Mr. Mailer signed a quantity of bond paper with his signature, to be bound in special, posthumous editions of and about his work. He did so after learning that Mark Twain had done the same.
The first edition (490 copies) of Works and Days, published by Sligo Press, was selected as an “Outstanding Academic Title, 2000” by Choice Magazine. It sold out several years ago. This new edition will be published in three formats:
- as a signed, bound, limited edition;
- as a soft cover edition, to appear in 2019;
- as an etext, to appear in 2019; and
- as an online publication, available for free.
- Preface by Norman Mailer
- Introductions by J. Michael Lennon and Gerald R. Lucas
- Works contains nearly 400 new entries, for approximately 1500 total, all corrected, annotated, and cross-referenced
- Updated entries for each year, 1941-2016, are accompanied by at least one photograph (usually in color) of a Mailer publication, including many magazines
- Days, the 38-page life chronology, is illustrated with 78 photographs, 25 in color
- Expansion of the annotated secondary bibliography (over 400 entries)
- Expanded number of citations of reviews (315) of and essays (177) on Mailer’s 31 most important books
- Pertinent quotations from Mailer on each of his books
Praise for the first edition of Works and Days
“Future Mailer scholars will have to begin with Works and Days.” —John Whalen-Bridge
“The authors, noted Mailer experts and official archivists, have painstakingly traced and cross-referenced chronologically virtually everything of consequence ever written by Mailer; every interview with him; significant articles, reviews, and books about his work; a plethora of biographical facts; and pertinent, incisive quotations from Mailer regarding each of the books in his massive body of work. . . . This meticulous compilation is an indispensable research tool for any student or scholar of Mailer and U.S. literature, and is an essential acquisition for every library.” —B.H. Leeds, Choice Magazine, December, 2000.
To order, send a check (postmarked on or before September 4, 2018) for $150, plus $10 for postage and handling, made out to Norman Mailer Society, and mail to:
Treasurer, NM Society
3825 Lavista Road., F3
Tucker, GA 30043
Or simply pay via PayPal: